home about us services student pathway institution & programs student visa contact us


To be granted a student visa you must satisfy the visa requirements and comply with a number of visa conditions for attendance and academic performance which come into effect after you have entered Australia. Your student visa will list the conditions that apply specifically to you. It is important to comply with your visa conditions to avoid visa cancellation.

Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please check the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website.
The student visa has separate sub-classes for each education sector. You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study.

Student visa sub-classes


Subclass 570

Independent ELICOS

for international students undertaking ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) as a stand-alone course, and not as a prerequisite to commencing another course (for example, a degree course).


Subclass 571


for international students undertaking a course of study at a primary school or a secondary school, including both junior and senior secondary school, and an approved secondary exchange program.


Subclass 572

Vocational education and Training (VET) sector

covers Certificate I, II, III and IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma.


Subclass 573

Higher education

covers a Bachelor degree, Associate Degree, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and masters by coure work. 


Subclass 574

Postgraduate Research

covers a Masters degree by research and Doctoral degrees.



Persons wishing to study in Australia should apply on form 157A and pay the current visa application charge, ie A$550.

Documentation to submit with your application:

  1. Four recent passport-style photographs for each applicant
  2. Supplementary Questionnaire to Form 157A
  3. Completed 'details of relatives' form
  4. IELTS test results (mainly for Level 3 and Level 4 countries)
  5. Changes to the student visa regulations require varying evidence of funds dependent on the subclass of student visa applied for. Applicants should show funds and (income that support these funds) enough to cover, course fee, and living costs in Australia (AUD 18,000 pa) as well as amounts covering other family members. For details relating to the specific financial evidentiary requirements for each subclass www.immi.gov.au/students
  6. All original education documents including all mark sheets for Degrees
  7. Affidavit of support from the person providing financial support
  8. For applicants below 18 years of age, details of arranged guardianship in Australia plus an affidavit from the student's parents agreeing to the guardianship arrangement
  9. Bank statement from the person(s) providing support outlining transactions for the past 6 months (for Level 4 countries)

Processing Times
Student applicants should lodge applications no more than 3 months and at least 8 weeks before course commencement dates. Some applications take longer to process. Students may be asked to undertake further medicals and some delays may be experienced due to the need to verify bank or education documents. 
Generally, an international student is issued a multiple entry visa for the duration of their study course in Australia. This allows you to travel backwards and forwards to Australia within the period for which it has been granted. Members of your immediate family (spouse and unmarried dependent children under 18 years of age) may accompany you to Australia and will be considered in the same visa class as yourself. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia for further study you will need to lodge an application for a further visa.

Common visa conditions:

  • you must satisfy attendance and course requirements and maintain a valid enrolment for your course
  • you must not work unless you have been granted permission to do so
  • you must maintain your Overseas Student Health (OSHC) cover while in Australia
  • you must leave Australia before your visa expires
  • you must remain with the education provider you originally enrolled with for the first 6 months of your course or, if the course is less than 12 months, for the duration of your course
  • you must advise your education provider of your residential address within seven days of your arrival in Australia and must advise any changes of address within seven days
  • if you change education provider you must inform your current education provider within seven days of issue of an eCoE

What's new for students

Expansion of the number of Confirmation of Enrolments

The department is making changes to its systems that will expand the number of Confirmation of Enrolments (CoEs) that are able to be attached to a student visa application.
See: Expansion of the Number of Confirmation of Enrolments

Changes to the student visa Assessment Levels

On 1 September 2008 new student visa Assessment Levels came into effect. The changes affect students from 52 countries across various education sectors.
All applications lodged on or after 1 September 2008 are subject to the new Assessment Levels.
Applicants who have lodged valid applications before 1 September 2008 are not affected by the Assessment Level changes. These applications will be assessed at the Assessment Level which was in effect at time they lodged their application.
More information on the student visa Assessment Levels, including the Assessment Levels that are in effect from 1 September 2008, is available.
See: Student Visa Assessment Levels

Student eVisa form changes for online applications

On 9 August 2008 the online application for this visa changed to include additional questions on Health and Character. This change affects all online applications.
You may be required to complete the new Personal Particulars Form. If so, the form and the request to complete it will be automatically displayed on the page immediately after payment.
Some student visa applicants may also need to complete a Student Supplement Form. Please follow the online instructions as required.
You are encouraged to complete your application with as much information as possible at time of lodgement. Applications with missing information may take longer to finalise.

Permission to work arrangements for student visa holders

From 26 April 2008, people granted student visas will automatically receive permission to work with their visa grant. Most student visa holders will no longer need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work.
See: New permission to work arrangements for students (57KB PDF file)

Visa label-free arrangements for student visa holders

You do not need a visa label in your passport to confirm your immigration status and visa entitlements in Australia. Instead, your visa information is held electronically and can be accessed using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service.
See: Do I need an Australian visa label? (62KB PDF file)
Students from the People's Republic of China may still require a visa label to facilitate travel to Australia.
See: Visa evidencing in China


103 Level (Opp Crazy Clarks) 166 Murray Street Mall Perth Western Australia 6000 Phone +61 8 9221 4888 Fax +61 8 9221 8688 Email easystudy@easymigrate.com

Copyright (c) 2008. EasyStudy Educational Services All Rights Reserved